Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Now stop, Hammertime




Dear family,
 
I´m good. How are you? How´s the weather? Did Cameron get the job at the MTC? How´s Ryan´s preparation for the mission coming? What´s Emily up to these days? What juicy, exciting things happen at work Dad, Did you take the tempting job offer? Marissa, did you make up your mind (do you ever make up your mind (I´m sorry that was mean)) for your job. Looks like everyone has a job to do there. That made me think of something, probably the reason why our family turned out the way we did. Perhaps people look at our goofy family and ask themselves how Mom and Dad did it. We all in the gospel and not that bad of people (so far). My response is that we always kept ourselves busy with good things. Think about it. In my life, there was never a dull moment and we kept the wheels turning, whether it be sports, music, school, work, church, etc, we were always busy. That didn´t leave much room for other, non-important or bad things.
 
I had some other cool experiences. I´ll share three. The first includes Marlene and Ivone. They were old investigators that never got baptized. We found them and have been visiting them for the past couple weeks. They are basically golden. They only had a problem with the word of wisdom at first, but have been clean for 3 weeks now! They are really showing to God that they want to enter into his kingdom and obey him. They even invited us to their birthday party yesterday (it was a surprise and we thought we were going to teach them..)
The next two stories are almost the same. One´s name is Miguel and the other is Felipe. Miguel came to the church this Thursday and the secretary called us to come. We went to meet him and we taught him the first leson (the restoration). He is basically golden as well. He is using his faith to come to us. It´s like the people who went to Jesus to get healed. He didn´t always look for them, but they had the desire and faith to find Christ. That also happened with Felipe. He always came to church and came to me to ask me if I could help him learn English. I also took advantage of the situation to teach him the gospel. It turns out that he has already heard the missionaries before, but now, it seems like he is prepared also.
 
These past weeks, I´ve mostly only been sharing stories of the people that we´ve been finding and teaching. I share these things so that you guys know the effort that we put in and the Hand of the Lord in our teachings, if there´s baptisms in the near future, you guys know why and who. I´m just saying that my companion didnt have very many people to teach when I first got here. And now we´ve found and can teach a ton of great people. He´s also leaving this Friday to his house in Guatemala (I´m killing him) and so i´ll be with either members or other missionaries until the next wednesday.
 
Take care,
 
-Elder Walker
 
Mom - I just have to write you about the comment you made about not dropping the people you teach. Well, would you like to hear my opinion? I agree that people can change the mind when the Lord touches their heart and everyone has the possibility of getting baptized. Yes, that is true. Now, the missionaries position. We find about 10 new people to teach a week. That makes about 60 every transfer, plus the investigators that were already in the area. That´s a ton of people and possiblities! However, the problem is, is time; there´s not enough to visit all of them and find other new people who are already prepared. So we drop the people that aren´t progressing. Maybe it´s just not their time yet. That´s what the area book full of old investigators is for. But the key is to tell them that you are dropping them, because if you don´t, they´ll be wondering why we don´t visit them anymore. When we tell them we are going to drop them, that gives them something to think about. Why? Why did they drop me? What did I do wrong? Maybe I´ll start reading this book they gave me.. Y asi, bautismo dos meses despues.

No comments:

Post a Comment