Monday, March 10, 2014

To whom it may concern

Pictures:  my friend wilbur, our trip to canta, and more...
Querido familita,

Rather than bore you guys with the usual intense missionary stuff or my amazing trip to Canta, I figured Id share my short talk I gave in Domingo yesterday.

Ive been thinking alot this week about how people become inactive in the Church.  Its still quite puzzling but for me it comes down to the "small and simple things."  Really we dont notice how profound little daily things turn into habits that then become who we are and change our future lives.  Id like to show unto the world that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass".  Now this is a universal concept, but right now Id like to apply it to church and our own spiritual progression.
One can easily lose himself in his way of life; a routine thats pleasing and comfortable.  But when we stop progressing and changing, whats happening?  Well if youre not moving forward, youre moving backwards.  Hence, we become camplacent.  And when complacency sets in, all it takes is something alittle bit stronger, something that is moving forward, to conquer us.  And in this case, that is Satan.  Satan is always working, just as God is.  And just as God has a plan for us, so does Satan.  So the question is what side are we on?  Well it is really determined by your "small and simple" choices.  One can say he has faith and does whats right, but if he is not constantly acting on that faith and getting stronger, he will only slow down, get lost, and lose himself.  (Hence faith without works is dead).  It is a daily effort, a daily battle to choose the right things.  What will I wear today?  What will I do with my free time?  What do I do when this happens?  Blah blah blah.  With so many questions and choices to make on a daily bases, I suppose the ultimate question is What will I do to make the right choices?  And perhaps Where can I find the answers?
Well, Im glad you asked.  Allow Elder Walker to explain.  The answer lies in everything we learned in Primary.  Read the scriptures EVERYDAY.  Pray EVERYDAY.  Attend church EVERYDAY.  Just kidding, only once a week for church.  As it says in 3 Nephi 18:18-22, "18 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch (read the scriptures) and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for aSatan desireth to haveyou, that he may sift you as wheat.

 19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;

 20 And awhatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given untoyou.

 21 aPray in your families unto the Father, always in my name,that your wives and your children may be blessed.
 22 And behold, ye shall ameet together oft; and ye shall not forbidany man from coming unto you when ye shall meet together, but suffer them that they may come unto you and forbid them not;"  These are the simple things we must do every day of our lives to recieve the guidance, strength, and direction of the Holy Ghost.  And we are promised that if we do these things, if we "build upon the rock of Christ", we will "never fall."
And this is my testimony that these things are true.  I promise all of you that if you are lost or seeking direction in life or even fallen, if you do these 3 things and build upon that rock of Chris, you will be blessed.  And your life will dwell on a foundation that can never fall.  This is my desire for everyone of us that we "Read & Pray, everyday!"  (thats my motto!).  And we will never fail, but lives peaceful and happy lives full of the Spirit.

As always, I love all of you and hope for the best.
Con Amor,
Elder Ryan Walker







No comments:

Post a Comment