Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 21 - Excuse you?

Querido famiria,

Will you come to church with us next Sunday?  Oh, you can't?  why?  you have to walk your dog...?  Well how 'bout you walk your dog after church?  Oh you have to sweep the floor?  Well how 'bout you sweep the floor tonight so you can go to church tomorrow?  You have to take out the trash tonight?  Hey.  Lets cut the crap, and go to church tomorrow, alright?

Just kidding, I didn't say that.  But I'm not exaggerating either.  The biggest enemy of missionary work: excuses.  Ohfff.  Just saying that works gives me the chills.  I cant even tell you how many excuses I hear in a week.  Can't even.  This week I almost lost it, because I was just so tired of the excuses people make to not do simple things like attend church, read scriptures, pray, or even just listen to us.  You have to walk your dog?  Your dog can walk himself!  JUST COME TO CHURCH!!!

My companion was frustrated about it too.  But we came to the conclusion, that what we lacked was the Spirit.  You cant make anyone do anything, nor can you obligate the Spirit to give them the answer.  But when someone does feel the Spirit, they know its true, and are excited to learn more!  So at the end of the week, we began trying new strategies, such as reading scriptures when they make excuses, or talking about family and blessings.  When they recognize the blessings God has given them, they open up and desire to do more.  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

So when you cant feel the Spirit in your life, ask yourself, "Is what I'm doing allow me to feel these fruits?  Do I feel Joy yelling at my family?  Can I feel peace listening to this song?  Do I show my love for others?  Or am I just making excuses and putting it off for other things?"


Con Amor,
Elder Walker




 

No comments:

Post a Comment