Saturday, January 14, 2012

Happy New Year

Dear Family,

Sorry to be writing a little late. We had training on Monday and Tuesday.

First I would like to say Happy Birthday to mom. I would buy you a present, but knowing that it would cost me a fortune to send it or never even make it, I'll just wait until you come down here. 

Happy 2012!! This year will be very exciting because I come home, there is a presidential election, and the world will end in December.

This year we had to go to bed at 10:30. But it was pretty much impossible due to all the fireworks. Brazil goes crazy with fireworks. They have them every Sunday for soccer games. One thing that is cool here is that everyone dresses in white for New Year. It is supposed to symbolize peace. Elder Nascimento and I used our white ties being the only thing that we can actually change.

The rain never stops here. I left Nova Friburgo thinking that the rain would stay there, but I guess it's just that time of the year. Rain makes it pretty difficult to dry clothes due to the lack of dryers in this country. We worked our best this last week. With New Year being Sunday it makes it really difficult to find those who are willing to wake up early after staying up for hours drinking. However, we managed a baptism. Gerlane is a young woman with a lot of faith. It's not any person who has the courage to get baptized on New Years. She woke up at 6 after going to bed at 4 just to get ready. It was so special. It proves that there are people in the world who are willing to change and do their best to keep the commandments. The ward was very nice when receiving her. I have never had a ward so wonderful on my mission. All the members were actually there to help. We didn't do anything. Usually the members run when you want to take pictures, but this time everyone wanted to be in the picture. I was really impressed and happy to have a ward with that kind of attitude.  
 
Mom, I make my bed every day.

I know that this church is true. I believe that the principles of the gospel can change anyone's life. It's interesting that many don't know the joys of the gospel just because they aren't willing to experiment. It's not easy but just like Lehi, once we have tasted, that's all we want for our family and friends.

Love,

Elder Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment